Departure times, bus stop Domplatz:
daily every hour on the hour from approx 10 a.m. Last tour 7 p.m.
The Bamberg Cathedral, a centerpiece from Bamberg. In place of the present cathedral was the Heinrichsdom, built from1004 -1012, a donation from Heinrich II. 1081 and 1185, devastated from fire, officially re-opened 1237.
Ca. 99 meters long, 29.5 meters wide and 23 meters high. The east towers are approx. 76, and the west towers approx. 74 meters high. In the middle of the north wall, you will find the prince entrance and choir stalls from the early 14th century. Inside you will also find the "Bamberg Horseman", the first monumental equestrian statue, Germany (1225 – 1237). In the east choir, the crypt, the oldest part of the cathedral, with the tomb of the holy couple emperor Heinrich and his wife Kunigunde, created by Tilman Remschneider (early 16th Century).
The papal tomb of Clemmens II is the only Pope’s gave, north of the Alp’s, accepted by the church. The "Marien Altar" by Veit Stoß (1523).
Apr – Oct 9:00 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mar/Nov 9:00 a.m. – 5 p.m. No visitation or tours during services. The cathedral is closed for Organ concerts every Saturday from May to October from 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 a.m.
The Old Court
The former palace from Heinrich II, since the 10th century, the Bamberg castle, the imperial seat from the 12th century, and the earlier residential and farm buildings of the Episcopal court. In the year 1208, regicide, where Graf Otto v. Wittelsbach murdered Staufer king Phillip v. Schwaben. Inhabited until the 1960s, it is now partly used from the historical museum. Church weddings are performed in Katherine’s chapel. Since 1973 the Calderon Festspiele in June and July in the inner courtyard.
Historical Museum. Since 1983 in the east wing of the old court. Art and historical collection from the history of the city of Bamberg. Prehistoric to the 20th century.
Historical Museum open from:
Daily 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Mondays closed.
The new Residence
Residence of the prince bishops of Bamberg to the abolition of the bishopric in the year 1802. 1635 reconstruction by Lothar Franz von Schonborn in a representative Baroque castle after plans by the court architect L. Dietzenhofer. Guided tours of Imperial and Episcopal residence and state rooms, other state rooms and Imperial Hall.
In the common room is the desk, signed the declaration of war on the Napoleon of the Prussians. On the ground floor since 1965, the Bavarian State Library.
National Gallery on the 2nd floor shows a valuable collection of old German and Baroque paintings from stocks of the Bavarian State Collection of Paintings, and art collections in the city of Bamberg.
The New Residence open from:
Tour only with a leader daily. Apr. – Sept. 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Oct. – March. 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The Rose garden
The Rose garden, access through the entrance of the new residence. A Beautiful view of Bamberg and St. Michael's Monastery as well as Franconian Switzerland and the Haßberge. In the 16th century this was the site of a Renaissance garden, which was converted in 1733 under Prince-Bishop from Schonborn in a Baroque Garden after plans of Balthasar Neumann.
Every year approximately 4500 roses bloom, from about 48 different varieties.
In the rooms of the Balthasar Neumann chapter house from 1731/33 built directly next to the cathedral, you can see outstanding medieval textile exhibits. Gold embroidered coats from the time Heinrich II and his wife, Kunigunde. Pastorate of Clemmens II and Gunthertuch (1050 -1060). Collection of stone monuments with figures of the Adam and the prince gate portal, the rest trim and baroque cathedral décor, and religious folk art.
Diocesan Museum open from:
Daily 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Mondays closed.
Hotel with Restaurant. Franconian Special food and Beers from Bamberg. Dominikanerstr. 9
Details of opening hours subject to change.
Text sources: Wolfgang Wußmann: Lexikon für Bamberg, Stadt Bamberg
Fotos © Bamberger Bahnen.