Departure times, bus stop Altenburg:
daily every hour on the hour from approx 10:30 a.m. Last tour 7:30 p.m.
The former stronghold, first mentioned 1109, and used from1305 as the bishop’s residence in Bamberg. Besieged during the farmer wars 1523/24, but survived without serious destruction.
Destroyed after the assault from Albrecht Alcibiades in 1553, only the cellar below the castle tower was used as a state prison. In 1801 Dr. Adalbert F. Markus bought and began rebuilding the Altenburg. After his death, the Altenburg went 1818 into the possession of the Altenburg association.
Up until1982 castle bears were kept in cages in the Altenburg, and the head of the last bear “Poldi” (1954-1982) can be seen in the museum of natural art in Bamberg. The Altenburg is the highest of the 7 hills of Bamberg (386 meters above sea level).
Castle tower (fantastic view), castle wall with military gear, arched entry gate, palace with grand hall, castle chapel, fountain, E. T. A. Hoffmann den, Amalien den, diverse mausoleums as well as a crucifix and other relief’s.
High above the rooftops of Bamberg, Oliver Lippel and his team, welcomes all who wish to combine an exploration of our castle with a good meal.
From a Franconian Sunday meal, to a romantic candle light dinner for two, all the way to any and all receptions private or company, the grand hall is the perfect place, with an excellent kitchen.
pictures: ©Bamberger Bahnen, aerial photo provided by Thorsten Melnicky